Ayad Allawi reached out to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, hoping to open a reconciliation dialogue. He said he is unashamed to work with the prime minister, if Maliki will give up opposing stances and seek true reconciliation. Several issues, including the appointment of ministerial posts, have been left unresolved even though the current Maliki government has been in office for a year. Months of political wrangling last year allowed Maliki to maintain his post even though his party lost last year elections by two seats.
Meanwhile, at least three Iraqis were killed and four more were wounded.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed a man driving a car in Ur. An intelligence officer was shot dead on a highway near Ghazaliya. A fire is raging at an agricultural chemical warehouse; authorities fear it may cause pollution. Mortar fire was heard early in the morning, but no casualties were reported.
Gunmen stormed a home in Zaginya, where they killed one person and wounded his brother.
A bomb in Baquba wounded two people.
A police officer was wounded in Samarra when gunmen in a car lobbed a grenade at him.
A 7-year-old girl was liberated and her kidnappers arrested in Hilla.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018