Ayad Allawi reached out to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, hoping to open a reconciliation dialogue. He said he is unashamed to work with the prime minister, if Maliki will give up opposing stances and seek true reconciliation. Several issues, including the appointment of ministerial posts, have been left unresolved even though the current Maliki government has been in office for a year. Months of political wrangling last year allowed Maliki to maintain his post even though his party lost last year elections by two seats.
Meanwhile, at least three Iraqis were killed and four more were wounded.
In Baghdad, gunmen killed a man driving a car in Ur. An intelligence officer was shot dead on a highway near Ghazaliya. A fire is raging at an agricultural chemical warehouse; authorities fear it may cause pollution. Mortar fire was heard early in the morning, but no casualties were reported.
Gunmen stormed a home in Zaginya, where they killed one person and wounded his brother.
A bomb in Baquba wounded two people.
A police officer was wounded in Samarra when gunmen in a car lobbed a grenade at him.
A 7-year-old girl was liberated and her kidnappers arrested in Hilla.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018