Thanks to extremely tight security, about 3,000,000 pilgrims peacefully gathered in Karbala today for Ashura observances. Across the county, however, at least six Iraqis were killed and 19 more were wounded, some of them in sectarian attacks. Still, the number of victims dropped significantly from yesterday’s toll.
In Kirkuk, one civilian was killed and eight others were wounded when mortars fell on a Shi’ite mosque. A separate blast wounded one civilian. A college professor was freed after paying an $800,000 ransom.
Gunmen stormed a policeman’s home in Ramadi, where they killed one person and wounded three more.
A policeman was killed and two more were wounded during a bombing in Imam Weis.
A bomb in Saidiya killed an army officer and wounded a soldier.
A civilian was killed in a sticky bomb attack in Falluja.
A Katyusha rocket fell at a Kurdistan Democratic Party in Tal Afar, where it wounded one guard.
In Mosul, a bomb targeting a patrol wounded one Asayesh agent.
No casualties were reported in a sonic bomb blast in Tisiin.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- HRW Calls on Baghdad to Admit to Holding Prisoners; 25 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2018
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018