Saturday: 7 Iraqis Killed, 20 Wounded
Although violence was light today, the U.S. Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction, Stuart Bowen reported that Iraq has become more dangerous in the last 12 months. Coincidentally, U.S. forces were involved in a fatal shootout with civilians in northern Iraq early this morning. Overall, at least seven Iraqis were killed and 20 more were wounded across Iraq. Meanwhile, parliament approved a cabinet-reducing measure.
U.S. troops killed three villagers and injured seven more during an operation to arrest a suspect in Rufayat. Due to the summer heat, many residents were sleeping on their rooftops when U.S. helicopters arrived. A startled man thought the soldiers were al-Qaeda militants and fired a warning shot. The Americans then returned fire. One of the dead was a sheikh. One of the wounded later died.
A blast in Taji left two dead and five wounded.
A roadside bomb wounded six people in Qara Tapa.
Three people were wounded during a shooting in Sherwin.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Civilians Beheaded in Riyadh; 27 Killed in Iraq – August 30th, 2016
- Wedding Blast Horror; 93 Killed in Iraq – August 29th, 2016
- ISIS Execute Their Own for Desertion; 57 Killed in Iraq – August 28th, 2016
- Executions in Hawija; 175 Killed in Iraq – August 27th, 2016
- Suicide bombers Attack Refugee Camp; 96 Killed in Iraq – August 26th, 2016