Although violence was light today, the U.S. Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction, Stuart Bowen reported that Iraq has become more dangerous in the last 12 months. Coincidentally, U.S. forces were involved in a fatal shootout with civilians in northern Iraq early this morning. Overall, at least seven Iraqis were killed and 20 more were wounded across Iraq. Meanwhile, parliament approved a cabinet-reducing measure.
U.S. troops killed three villagers and injured seven more during an operation to arrest a suspect in Rufayat. Due to the summer heat, many residents were sleeping on their rooftops when U.S. helicopters arrived. A startled man thought the soldiers were al-Qaeda militants and fired a warning shot. The Americans then returned fire. One of the dead was a sheikh. One of the wounded later died.
A blast in Taji left two dead and five wounded.
A roadside bomb wounded six people in Qara Tapa.
Three people were wounded during a shooting in Sherwin.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kurds Celebrate Referendum; 27 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2017
- Iraq Executes Dozens of Convicts; 116 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2017
- Shirqat Nearly Liberated; 297 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2017
- Turkey Desperate to Stop Kurdish Vote; 41 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2017
- Operations Launched in Hawija and Shirqat; 70 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2017