Saturday: 7 Iraqis Killed, 20 Wounded
Although violence was light today, the U.S. Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction, Stuart Bowen reported that Iraq has become more dangerous in the last 12 months. Coincidentally, U.S. forces were involved in a fatal shootout with civilians in northern Iraq early this morning. Overall, at least seven Iraqis were killed and 20 more were wounded across Iraq. Meanwhile, parliament approved a cabinet-reducing measure.
U.S. troops killed three villagers and injured seven more during an operation to arrest a suspect in Rufayat. Due to the summer heat, many residents were sleeping on their rooftops when U.S. helicopters arrived. A startled man thought the soldiers were al-Qaeda militants and fired a warning shot. The Americans then returned fire. One of the dead was a sheikh. One of the wounded later died.
A blast in Taji left two dead and five wounded.
A roadside bomb wounded six people in Qara Tapa.
Three people were wounded during a shooting in Sherwin.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 274 Killed Across Iraq As Mosul Residents Defy ISIS – July 28th, 2014
- Bloody Sunday in Iraq: 374 Killed, 78 Wounded – July 27th, 2014
- Sunni Politican Mysteriously Detained; 312 Killed Across Iraq – July 26th, 2014
- Sistani Reiterates Plea For Maliki To Quit; 45 Killed Across Iraq – July 25th, 2014
- ISIS Blows Up Tombs in Mosul; 147 Killed Across Iraq – July 24th, 2014