At least 10 Iraqis were killed and 17 more were wounded in new and updated attacks. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki asked resident Jalal Talabani to pardon 50 followers of Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. The request underscores Maliki’s need of Sadr’s favor to maintain power.
The Islamic State of Iraq issued an online appeal requesting donations for the widows and orphans of slain fighters. It is believed that the group’s funding has dried up, forcing them to resort to robberies and kidnapping to fund their operations.
Six more people have been wounded in a blast in Hawija that was earlier reported as two separate incidents in Hawija and nearby Kirkuk. Overall, three people were killed, including two children, and 20 others were wounded. A man had allegedly been readying a car bomb at his home when the device went off prematurely.
Gunmen planted bombs around a home belonging to the mayor of Ghuwair. The blasts killed him and wounded his wife and sister.
A student was seriously wounded during a shooting in Baquba.
Gunmen killed a man in Nasariya.
Two people died of injuries received in yesterday’s blast in Muqdadiya.
During operations around Shirqat, security forces arrested 39 suspects.
An al-Qaeda suspect was arrested near Falluja.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018