Friday: 1 US Soldier, 6 Iraqis Killed; 50 Iraqis Wounded
In today’s violence, at least six Iraqis were killed and 50 more were wounded, along with one U.S. soldier who was killed in southern Iraq. Also, the United States handed over 206 high-value detainees over to Iraqi authorities. Five of them, including two of Saddam’s half brothers, will be executed within a month.
As many as three pilgrims were killed and 28 were wounded when a bomb exploded in Karbala. A second bomb blast killed five others and wounded 15 more. At least one of them occurred near the northern entrance to the city. Separately, five suspects were arrested.
A roadside bomb in Samarra wounded a soldier.
In Mosul, a sticky bomb wounded a soldier and his passenger.
Eight suspects were arrested in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iran’s Support For Maliki Dwindles As Over 200 Are Killed in Iraq – July 23rd, 2014
- 288 Slain As Maliki Urges Sunni Tribes To Fight For Iraq Government – July 22nd, 2014
- 257 Killed Across Iraq, Mostly In Security Ops – July 21st, 2014
- 131 Killed In Iraq As Deadline Passes for Christians To Leave Mosul – July 20th, 2014
- Bombers Return to Baghdad: 50 Killed, 92 Wounded – July 19th, 2014