Friday: 1 US Soldier, 6 Iraqis Killed; 50 Iraqis Wounded
In today’s violence, at least six Iraqis were killed and 50 more were wounded, along with one U.S. soldier who was killed in southern Iraq. Also, the United States handed over 206 high-value detainees over to Iraqi authorities. Five of them, including two of Saddam’s half brothers, will be executed within a month.
As many as three pilgrims were killed and 28 were wounded when a bomb exploded in Karbala. A second bomb blast killed five others and wounded 15 more. At least one of them occurred near the northern entrance to the city. Separately, five suspects were arrested.
A roadside bomb in Samarra wounded a soldier.
In Mosul, a sticky bomb wounded a soldier and his passenger.
Eight suspects were arrested in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Heavy Fighting Continues Near Sinjar, 11 Killed in Baghdad – December 19th, 2014
- Sinjar Operation Continues; 142 Killed Across Iraq – December 18th, 2014
- Operation To Free Yazidi Town Begins; 131 Killed Across Iraq – December 17th, 2014
- Iraq: 241 Killed, Including 150 Women Who Spurned ISIS Suitors – December 16th, 2014
- 101 Killed in Iraq, and Thousands Are Missing – December 15th, 2014