Friday: 1 US Soldier, 6 Iraqis Killed; 50 Iraqis Wounded
In today’s violence, at least six Iraqis were killed and 50 more were wounded, along with one U.S. soldier who was killed in southern Iraq. Also, the United States handed over 206 high-value detainees over to Iraqi authorities. Five of them, including two of Saddam’s half brothers, will be executed within a month.
As many as three pilgrims were killed and 28 were wounded when a bomb exploded in Karbala. A second bomb blast killed five others and wounded 15 more. At least one of them occurred near the northern entrance to the city. Separately, five suspects were arrested.
A roadside bomb in Samarra wounded a soldier.
In Mosul, a sticky bomb wounded a soldier and his passenger.
Eight suspects were arrested in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- U.S. Forces Shot at in Mosul; 130 Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2017
- Civilians Flee Renewed Fighting in Mosul; 155 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2017
- Non-combat Death of U.S. Servicemember; 144 Others Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2017
- Early Advances in Mosul Operation; 151 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2017
- Defense Officials Say Mosul Operations Restart; 85 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2017