In today’s violence, at least six Iraqis were killed and 50 more were wounded, along with one U.S. soldier who was killed in southern Iraq. Also, the United States handed over 206 high-value detainees over to Iraqi authorities. Five of them, including two of Saddam’s half brothers, will be executed within a month.
As many as three pilgrims were killed and 28 were wounded when a bomb exploded in Karbala. A second bomb blast killed five others and wounded 15 more. At least one of them occurred near the northern entrance to the city. Separately, five suspects were arrested.
A roadside bomb in Samarra wounded a soldier.
In Mosul, a sticky bomb wounded a soldier and his passenger.
Eight suspects were arrested in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017
- Kurds Begin Return Home to Kirkuk; Eight Killed in Iraq – October 17th, 2017
- Kurds Flee as Baghdad Captures Kirkuk; 60 Killed, 133 Wounded – October 16th, 2017
- Iraq Forgets ISIS, Moves Against Kirkuk; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2017