At least nine Iraqis were killed and 28 were wounded as their representatives spent the day bickering in parliament.
Inside a parliament cafe, M.P. Kamal Saadi from the State of Law party allegedly beat Iraqiya M.P. Haidar al-Mulla with a cane. However, this incident was just the culmination of a weekend filled with escalating party rivalry and threats. Iraqiya denounced the beating and withdrew from the parliamentary session but not the government.
Gunmen in Baquba killed three policemen and wounded four others at a checkpoint.
An Awakening Council member and his wife were killed in a small arms attack in Hilla.
A bomb killed a policeman and wounded another in Qayara.
In Zummar, a bomb wounded two people.
A Mosul councilman safely escaped an assassination attempt.
A former high-ranking Air Force officer and his three brothers were released from a two-month long detention in Baghdad and returned to Falluja. Their mysterious incarceration was apparently triggered by a "secret informer."
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018