Tuesday: 3 Iraqis Killed, 8 Wounded
Over a million Shi’ite pilgrims were in the holy city of Karbala for Arbaeen observances that ended today, but as many of them now start for home, they are easy targets for violence. Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi said government efforts at securing the country during this tense time were "successful" despite a spate a recent bombings. He also called it proof that Iraq can safely host the upcoming Arab Summit. At least three Iraqis were killed and eight more were wounded in today’s attacks.
In Baghdad, a blast in Shabb wounded seven pilgrims upon their return from Karbala. Gunmen wounded a doctor and killed his driver in Utifiya. A high-ranking Interior Ministry officer was shot dead in Amil.
A muezzin was killed during an armed attack in Fallujah.
The army arrested eight suspects, including an imam, in Abu Ghraib.
Thirty-three suspects were rounded-up in Baquba and Muqdadiya.
Sixteen men suspected of involvement in yesterday’s Karbala bombings were arrested.
Twelve tons of explosives were discovered in Yusufiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Fighting Continues in Khalidiya; 189 Killed in Iraq – August 23rd, 2016
- 46 Killed in Iraq, Including British Demining Contractor – August 22nd, 2016
- Baghdad, ISIS Carry out Executions; 238 Killed in Iraq – August 21st, 2016
- 60 Killed in Iraq, Including Executed Civilians – August 20th, 2016
- Khalidiya Captured; 17 Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2016