Tuesday: 3 Iraqis Killed, 8 Wounded
Over a million Shi’ite pilgrims were in the holy city of Karbala for Arbaeen observances that ended today, but as many of them now start for home, they are easy targets for violence. Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi said government efforts at securing the country during this tense time were "successful" despite a spate a recent bombings. He also called it proof that Iraq can safely host the upcoming Arab Summit. At least three Iraqis were killed and eight more were wounded in today’s attacks.
In Baghdad, a blast in Shabb wounded seven pilgrims upon their return from Karbala. Gunmen wounded a doctor and killed his driver in Utifiya. A high-ranking Interior Ministry officer was shot dead in Amil.
A muezzin was killed during an armed attack in Fallujah.
The army arrested eight suspects, including an imam, in Abu Ghraib.
Thirty-three suspects were rounded-up in Baquba and Muqdadiya.
Sixteen men suspected of involvement in yesterday’s Karbala bombings were arrested.
Twelve tons of explosives were discovered in Yusufiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 2,381 Killed in Iraq During September – September 30th, 2016
- Australia Politician Visits Front Lines; 65 Killed in Iraq – September 29th, 2016
- Mass Execution Filmed; 131 Killed in Iraq – September 28th, 2016
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016