The first two American deaths of 2011 occurred during combat in just one of several attacks on American targets in the last 24 hours. Although the circumstances of the attack were not revealed, their deaths coincided with several assassinations in the capital, where one of today’s Iraqis victims had survived a deadly siege at a Christian church last year. The only other reported attack resulting in casualties occurred just northeast of Baghdad in Baquba. Altogether, at least 13 Iraqis were killed and 32 more were wounded.
In Baghdad, gunmen stormed a home in Karrada where they killed a Christian woman who had survived the siege at Our Lady of Salvation church; however, the B.O.C. denied the woman was Christian, and it is unclear if she was targeted for her religion or her valuables. A police officer was shot dead in Sarafiya. Last night, gunmen killed a traffic police officer in the Canal district. In Tahariyat, an army officer was shot dead. Two interior ministry personnel were killed in central Baghdad. Gunmen also killed an engineer in Suleikh. A police colonel was wounded in another assassination attempt. A government employee and his companion were also killed, prompting officials to take measures against gunmen will silencers.
A coordinated roadside and suicide car bombing struck a Baquba intelligence office as a bus full of schoolgirls passed. At least three people were killed and 31 others were wounded, including some of the children.
A U.S. military vehicle was damaged in a bomb attack in Diwaniya.
Six mortars fell on a U.S. base in Mussayab.
Police in Missan province defused two I.E.D.s planted on a road used heavily by Iraqi and U.S. forces.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Looting, Violence Continues in Captured Towns; 57 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2017
- Displaced Kurds Told Hometown Unsafe for Them to Return; 22 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2017
- Civilian Casualties in Battle at Kurdish Border; 67 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2017
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017