Saturday: 8 Iraqis Killed, 3 Wounded
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki put the country on high alert ahead of the formal end of U.S. combat operations on Tuesday. Still, at least eight Iraqis were killed and three more were wounded in light violence today. Also, a U.S. servicemember was wounded while protecting the reconstruction team in Amara, while another U.S. soldier was injured in a blast in Basra.
Former prime minister and leading candidate to take the premiership again, Ayad Allawi, said he fears a major crisis will occur over Iran. He added, however, that they can be and should be spoken to in order to reduce tensions.
In Mosul, a body was found.
Two policemen were killed in an attack in Sinjar.
A roadside bomb in Hawija wounded two people.
A gunman was killed in Tal Afar when a bomb he was handling exploded prematurely.
A suspect was arrested in Mutlaq.
In Fallujah, a bomb was found and defused on a vehicle belonging to a security official.
Eight explosives belts were found in Amara.
Authorities in Najaf posted 24,000 extra security personnel to protect pilgrims observing the anniversary of the First Imam.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Issues New Threat As 146 Are Killed Across Iraq – August 19th, 2014
- Kurds Are Willing To Talk With Baghdad; 78 Killed Across Iraq – August 18th, 2014
- 186 Killed Across Iraq As Kurds Try To Retake Mosul Dam – August 17th, 2014
- U.S. Airstrikes Target Mosul Dam region; 114 Killed in Iraq – August 16th, 2014
- ISIS Takes Another Yazidi Town; 183 Killed Across Iraq – August 15th, 2014