Friday: 8 Iraqis Killed, 18 Wounded
Updated at 7:03 p.m. EDT, Sept. 4, 2009
At least eight Iraqis were killed and 18 more were wounded in the latest violence. Four of the dead were casualties from yesterday’s bombing in Mussayab. Meanwhile, Iraq ratcheted up its complaints against Syria and deployed troops to the border. Also, Serbia may replace several fighter jets sent there for service during the Saddam era but were instead stripped for parts.
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki asked the U.N. Security Council for help investigating the Aug. 19th bombings in Baghdad. He believes that Syria is sheltering armed groups involved in the bombings. Iraq stationed more security personnel at the Syrian border to help staunch the flow of fighters into Iraq. Border patrols were also deployed to marshes near the Iranian border.
An eight-year-old’s body was discovered in Khalis, two days after he was kidnapped in Muqdadiya. His father is a local councilmember.
An unidentified body was discovered north of Kirkuk in the Qura Hanjier district.
Four people died overnight from wounds received in yesterday’s bombing in Mussayab.
Two men were killed when the bomb they are suspected of transporting in Fallujah accidentally detonated.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Fighting Continues in Khalidiya; 189 Killed in Iraq – August 23rd, 2016
- 46 Killed in Iraq, Including British Demining Contractor – August 22nd, 2016
- Baghdad, ISIS Carry out Executions; 238 Killed in Iraq – August 21st, 2016
- 60 Killed in Iraq, Including Executed Civilians – August 20th, 2016
- Khalidiya Captured; 17 Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2016