Updated at 5:15 p.m. EDT, June 21, 2009
At least 27 Iraqis were killed and 41 more wounded on a day marked by a return to small but numerous incidents in Baghdad and Mosul. Despite a massive car bombing near Kirkuk yesterday, reports from Iraq have been suspiciously sparse in recent days. Particularly in the case of Mosul, which is the most violent city in Iraq.
In Baghdad, 15 people were killed and 25 more were wounded at a café in Abu Dsheer. Near a restaurant in Doura a bomb killed one person and injured six more. A bomb wounded two people in Zayouna. In Ghazaliya, gunmen killed two policemen and wounded a third one. Two policemen were killed in a clash at a checkpoint in Jamiaa. Later in Jamiaa, gunmen killed another four policemen. Ongoing raids in Jamiaa could signal a return to sectarian harassment. A Sudanese man was arrested while driving a booby-trapped truck.
In Mosul, a roadside bomb killed one civilian and wounded three others, including a policeman. Gunmen killed a policeman. A policeman was killed and his mother was wounded during a small arms attack; this was a second such incident yesterday. Two policemen were wounded last night during a bomb defusal incident.
A bomb wounded a civilian in Tal Afar.
Ten suspects were netted during raids in Babel province.
Seven suspects were arrested in Anbar province.
U.S. forces handed over a base in Fallujah to their Iraqi counterparts.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018