Wednesday: 11 Iraqis Killed, 10 Wounded
Updated at 6:55 p.m. EDT, June 17, 2009
At least 11 Iraqis were killed and 10 were wounded in the latest violence. No Coalition deaths were reported. Meanwhile, an arrest has been made in connection with last week’s prominent murder of a Sunni politician. Back in the U.S., the House passed a $106 billion war-funding bill.
Six dumped bodies were recovered separately near Baquba in Azraq al Kshkool village.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb wounded five people in Karrada.
A drive-by shooting left one dead in Iskandariya.
A roadside bomb in Saidiya wounded a civilian.
Iraqi troops killed a would-be suicide bomber in Abu Ghraib.
Two people were injured when a bomb blew up outside a Jalawla barbershop.
A woman was killed at Wassit University in Kut. The security guard thought responsible for the death then turned his pistol on himself and died later in hospital. When a television crew arrived to cover the story, security guards beat them and destroyed their equipment. The motive for the shooting was not released.
The Interior Ministry handed over on various charges 115 of its own personnel to the judiciary. Twenty-three were accused of human rights violations. Before a wide-scale cleanup, civilian Iraqis feared the ministry’s police force. These elite “police commando” units were rife with Shi’ite death squads.
Twenty suspects were detained in Basra.
Almost 11,000 detainees remain incarcerated in U.S. jails. A U.S.-Iraqi security pact, signed last year, forces the U.S. to either hand over the prisoners to the Iraqis or release them. Thousands have been freed since the beginning of this year.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 109 Killed As Bombers Strike in Baghdad and Iraq Army Base – September 22nd, 2014
- Siege at Army Base Ongoing; 175 Killed, 102 Wounded Across Iraq – September 21st, 2014
- Clashes and Airstrikes Across Iraq Leave 154 Dead and Dozens Wounded – September 20th, 2014
- 71 Killed, 86 Wounded Across Iraq As Bombers Hit Baghdad Again – September 19th, 2014
- Bombers Strike near Baghdad Shrine; 195 Killed, 173 Wounded Across Iraq – September 18th, 2014