Update at 8:30 p.m. EDT, June 16, 2009
At least one Iraqi was killed and 11 more were injured in light violence. A U.S. soldier was killed in an explosion near Samawa, while a second soldier died in a non-combat incident in Ninewa province. Another U.S. soldier was wounded in an I.E.D attack in Baghdad. Meanwhile, Egypt has named its first ambassador to Iraq in four years. Also, a investigation into alleged abuse in Iraqi prisons has resulted in the arrests of at least 40 police officers.
In Baghdad, a roadside bomb wounded two Iraqis and an American soldier.
In Mosul, U.S. forces shot at a bus, wounding two people including a female university employee. A bomb targeting a U.S. patrol wounded two Iraqis instead. Four Iraqis were wounded in a separate bombing that may have been targeting a senior judge. Another bomb was safely defused. Also, three wanted suspects were captured.
Gunmen wounded a policeman in south of Kirkuk in Aliyawa.
Two people were kidnapped in Rashad.
A suspect was arrested for planting the bomb that killed a U.S. soldier in Samawa.
A security operation netted 20 wanted suspects in Garma.
An accidental fire killed 14 people and wounded 30 others on bus that was traveling near Kut.
Six al-Qaeda suspects were captured in Mandili.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Airstrikes Leave Kurdish Fatalities; 14 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2018
- India Abductees Found Dead Near Mosul; 72 Killed in Iraq – March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018