Monday: 9 Iraqis, 1 Syrian Killed; 8 Iraqis Wounded
Updated at 7:10 p.m. EDT, May 24, 2009
The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) offered to end a decades long conflict with Turkey if the Turks are willing to negotiate a settlement. At least nine Iraqis were killed, along with a Syrian fighter, and another eight were wounded in the latest attacks. Meanwhile, Speaker of the Iraqi Parliament Iyad al-Samarraie said that Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has the right to reshuffle or select cabinet ministers in order to implement government programs. Political pressure had prevented Maliki from doing so previously.
Should Turkey accept their offer of peace, the decades long conflict with the PKK could end soon. The PKK is willing to give up their goal of an independent Kurdistan in exchange for peace and a negotiated settlement, and has imposed a temporary end to operations to give the Turks a chance to respond.
Six dumped bodies were discovered in Uthmaniya.
A roadside bomb wounded four policemen in Baquba.
A nine-year-ole child in Samarra was liberated hours after he was kidnapped. Four gunmen were chased off during a clash.
Three rockets were defused near Amara.
A man suspected of being a militia commander was arrested near Kut in Numaniya. Security forces said the man had been twice detained by U.S. forces and released.
Four men suspected of killing Brigadier Hakeem Jassim were captured in Zubair.
In 71-year-old Iraqi who killed a U.S. soldier in Shiloaiya was released on bail while awaiting trial. The man thought he heard looters.
Sixty suspects were arrested in Karbala.
Iraq’s central court gave Yusuf Sinawi, the Secretary General of Thar-Allar (God’s Revenge) party, a life sentence for terrorist acts.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Shooting Spree Targets Baghdad Liquor Stores; 21 Killed, 36 Wounded Across Iraq – December 7th, 2013
- Journalist Assassinated in Kurdistan; 15 Killed, 33 Wounded Across Iraq – December 6th, 2013
- Shootings and Bombings Leave 14 Dead, 7 Wounded – December 5th, 2013
- Another Security Installation Targeted in Iraq; 31 Killed, 106 Wounded – December 4th, 2013
- Suicide Bombers Target Security Personnel Across Iraq; 67 Killed, 98 Wounded – December 3rd, 2013