At least 15 Iraqis were killed and 35 more were wounded, mostly in a brazen attack on a group of Awakening Council members in Iskandariya. No Coalition deaths were reported.
A suicide bomber walked in to a group of Awakening Council (Sahwa) members awaiting their overdue salaries near Iskandariya. Twelve members were killed and 32 more were wounded. Attacks against Sahwa members have been on the rise in recent weeks, particularly in this area formerly known as the “Triangle of Death.” Some also believe that Sahwa members have been perpetrating their own attacks as well. The group had asked to be allowed inside an army compound for protection, but the bomber may have been wearing a Sahwa or other military uniform rendering such aid useless. The Sunni group is credited with reducing violence since turning their back on al-Qaeda; however, there are tensions between the group and the central government.
A blast in Mandali killed one civilian and wounded two others.
Two suspected Naqshabandiya militants were detained in Makhmour.
Twelve suspects were detained in Dhi Qar province.
Security forces raided an art gallery in Karbala. They confiscated some art works, while the cartoonist responsible for them fled. The head of the Iraqi Parliament’s culture, media, and tourism committee condemned the action.
Near the Iraqi border in Turkey, two Turkish soldiers and seven Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) rebels were reported killed during clashes.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017