Thursday: 6 Iraqis Killed, 19 Wounded
Updated at 6:41 p.m. EDT, Apr. 9, 2009
At least six Iraqis were killed and 19 more were wounded on the sixth anniversary of the fall of Baghdad. Tens of thousands of Iraqis marked the occasion in Baghdad. No coalition deaths were reported.
Gunmen threw a thermal grenade at a U.S. patrol traveling along a highway between Baiji and Tikrit. One American soldier was wounded.
About 30,000 demonstrators marked the sixth anniversary of the fall of Baghdad in a gathering at Firdous Square today. They protested the continued presence of U.S. troops and asked U.S. President Obama to fulfill his promise to remove them. Firdous Square is best known to Westerners as the location where a Saddam Hussein statue was toppled after the fall of the city.
Elsewhere in Baghdad, a magnetic bomb was planted on a car in Saidiya where its blast left eight wounded.
A bicycle bomb was detonated at a wedding in Balad Ruz, where six people were wounded.
A bomb planted on a civilian vehicle in Baquba exploded, killing one person and wounding three others. An I.E.D. blast killed one construction worker and wounded a second at an Iraqi army base.
The bodies of a woman and her daughter were found in Rabeaa, only a day after they were reported kidnapped.
A gunman was wounded while allegedly planting a bomb in Riyadh.
Four policemen were arrested in Kut after they opened fire in the Wassit province building. One of the four is a bodyguard to the governor. No one was injured during the attack.
No casualties were reported after a jail in Badoush suffered a mortar attack.
A roadside bomb targeting a U.S. patrol in Kirkuk left no casualties.
Seven al-Qaeda suspects were arrested in Samarra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Attacks Iraq Security Forces and Politicians Leave 17 Dead and 11 Wounded – December 11th, 2013
- Bombers Attack Another Funeral; 39 Killed, 46 Wounded Across Iraq – December 10th, 2013
- 43 Killed, 60 Wounded in Ongoing Iraq Attacks – December 9th, 2013
- Baghdad Takes the Brunt of Attacks That Leave 61 Dead, 214 Wounded – December 8th, 2013
- Shooting Spree Targets Baghdad Liquor Stores; 21 Killed, 36 Wounded Across Iraq – December 7th, 2013