Thursday: 10 Iraqis Killed, 3 Wounded
Updated at 9:23 p.m. EST, Jan. 22, 2009
At least 10 Iraqis were killed and another three were wounded on a light day of attacks. No Coalition soldiers were reported killed; however, several nations are reevaluating their missions in Iraq.
U.S. President Barack Obama spent his first day in the White House asking the Pentagon to “execute a responsible military drawdown from Iraq.” In Baghdad, however, the outgoing ambassador Ryan Crocker said that a speedy withdrawal was unlikely.
Meanwhile, El Salvador ended its humanitarian mission in southern Iraq during a formal ceremony today. Separately, Estonia failed to agree on its own security pact with Baghdad and will withdraw all but three staff officers from the country. Also, Serbia’s defense minister promised support during a meeting with Prime Minister Maliki.
In Baghdad, one civilian was killed and two others were wounded during a car bombing that targeted a U.S. military vehicle near Qanat. Also, a joint U.S.-Iraqi team conducted a raid in Abu Dsheer. Yesterday in Zaafaraniyah, U.S. forces killed an Iraqi soldier and wounded another. Gunmen killed a man in Shabb.
Two children and their parents were killed in Suwayra when gunmen fired upon them.
Twenty suspects were detained in Hawija.
Two Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) rebels fled Iraqi territory and surrendered to Turkish authorities.
The Associated Press reported obtaining an army document that criminally blamed KBR, Inc. and two supervisors for the death of a Marine who was electrocuted while in Iraq.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Shooting Spree Targets Baghdad Liquor Stores; 21 Killed, 36 Wounded Across Iraq – December 7th, 2013
- Journalist Assassinated in Kurdistan; 15 Killed, 33 Wounded Across Iraq – December 6th, 2013
- Shootings and Bombings Leave 14 Dead, 7 Wounded – December 5th, 2013
- Another Security Installation Targeted in Iraq; 31 Killed, 106 Wounded – December 4th, 2013
- Suicide Bombers Target Security Personnel Across Iraq; 67 Killed, 98 Wounded – December 3rd, 2013