Updated at 8:59 p.m. EST, Dec. 28, 2008
Thousands of Iraqis demonstrated against an Israeli operation that has so far left almost 300 Palestinians dead. Although most of the protests were peaceful, a suicide bomber took advantage of one anti-Israel demonstration in Mosul to carry out his own deadly operation.
Overall, at least 10 Iraqis were killed and another 36 were wounded across the country. A U.S. soldier was also killed in a roadside bomb attack in Baghdad. The death of sailor in Bahrain on Christmas was also reported. Meanwhile, an Iraqi court opened a new trial against Tariq Aziz, “Chemical Ali,” and over 20 more defendants accused of crimes against humanity.
In Mosul, a suicide bomber riding an explosives-laden bicycle killed four people and wounded 20 others. One of those killed was a 12-year-old boy. Three Katyusha rockets were defused in eastern Mosul.
Four security personnel were wounded during a roadside bombing in Basra. The brother of one of the guards is a local councilman running for a political office and survived an assassination attempt earlier today.
Four suspects were detained in Kirkuk.
Eight suspects were captured in Baquba.
In Buhriz, a weapons cache was found.
A suspect was captured in Salman village.
A bomb was defused in Mala Oula.
A rocket attack left no casualties in Duluiya.
Two suspects who escaped from a deadly Ramadi prisonbreak two days ago were captured.
Turkey warplanes struck suspected Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) targets in northern Iraq but no casualties were reported.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Third Bombing Against Sadr Bloc Offices; 40 Killed, 19 Bodies Found in Iraq – May 25th, 2018
- Scattered Attacks Continue in Kirkuk, Diyala; 27 Killed in Iraq – May 24th, 2018
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Baghdad; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 23rd, 2018
- 1,000 Bodies Recovered in Mosul; Two Turks Among 15 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2018
- French Training Iraqi Forces near Syrian Border; Five Killed in Iraq – May 21st, 2018