Updated at 5:00 p.m. EST, Nov. 21, 2008
Although the prayer day tends to be relatively peaceful, a massive demonstration took place in Baghdad at the behest of Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. Across Iraq, three people were killed and another 20 were wounded, mostly in Baghdad. Three U.S. servicemembers died in three separate incidents as well. Also, the U.S. military reported that a group of Iraqi soldiers donated money to victims of recent U.S. wildfires.
Three U.S. servicemembers were killed in three separate non-combat incidents. An MND-North soldier died today in Mosul. Yesterday at Camp Victory, an MND-Central soldier died. Also, a Marine died on Nov. 19 in Fallujah.
Thousands in Baghdad attended a public demonstration against a proposed U.S.-Iraqi security agreement. The event, which coincided with Friday prayers, was held at Firdous Square, where Iraqis tore down a statue of Saddam Hussein shortly after the U.S. invasion. This time demonstrators tore down an effigy of U.S. President Bush and set it on fire. Parliament is set to vote on the treaty next week. Although it is expected to pass, three smaller political blocs are opposed to it, and the Iraqi president or vice presidents could later reject it as well.
Another person was wounded in a previously reported bombing in Mosul last night, bringing the total wounded to 36 people.
Eight people were detained in Buhriz.
U.S. forces released 16 innocent detainees in Fallujah.
In Kirkuk, a roadside bomb and mortar attack left no casualties.
An arms cache was found in Ramadi.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018