Updated at 3:45 p.m. EDT, May 30, 2008
At least 23 Iraqis were killed and five more were wounded in the latest attacks. Much of the violence centered around Baquba, in Diyala Province, though the largest attack was near Tikrit. No Coalition deaths were reported.
In Tarmiya, US forces killed a man whom they suspect of having “hostile intent”.
At a checkpoint near Tikrit, Iraqi forces killed at least 11 suspected al-Qaeda members they found hiding in a sheep truck. In a seperate incident, US soldiers killed a suspected al-Qaeda weapons dealer.
In Diyala Province, three women were killed and two more seriously wounded when their homes were hit during a mortar assault on a nearby Iraqi army base. In Buhruz district, a shepherd was killed by an explosive charge. Another civilian was killed in Hibhib district by a roadside bomb. In Central Baquba, a child was killed and three others were wounded in an IED attack on a soccer field.
In Mosul, gunmen killed three people in separate incidents. Also, in an update to yesterday’s car bombing near the bus station, the reported casualties have risen from 14 to 20, including 11 women and a child.
A police colonel was killed by unknown gunmen north of Basra.
Compiled by Jason Ditz
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017