Updated at 9:24 p.m. EDT, May 23, 2008
At least 19 Iraqis were killed and 11 more were wounded on a quiet prayer day. Sadrist officials reported that Iraqi security forces stopped Friday prayer services in Baghdad and Basra. An American soldier was killed south of Baghdad in an IED attack yesterday. Also, another American soldier was killed while on leave in the United States.
A roadside bomb in Fallujah wounded six Marines in the Bustan Albo district. Their Iraqi interpreter was killed in the incident, but these numbers may change as more information becomes available. A technician was killed, along with five others as he was defusing a separate bomb; three others were wounded in the blast. Also, gunmen tried to storm the home of a local council leader but were repelled by guards.
In Baghdad, Iraqi security forces stopped a prayer service conducted by Sadrist leader and arrested hundreds of people, including nearby shopowners and pedestrians. Three buried bodies were discovered in Shula, while two unidentified bodies were found in Saidiya. Three people were arrested while planting a roadside bomb. Also, there was an explosion in Bayaa, but casualties are as yet unreported.
Two Iraqi soldiers were shot and wounded near Hasriya.
A woman’s body was found near Lake Thar Thar.
Gunmen attacked two Iraqi soldiers near Tuz Khormato.
A large weapons cache was found in Samarra.
Four persons were detained in Rashidiya.
In Kirkuk, 13 suspects were detained.
Five bodies were found in Misherfa.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018