Updated at 9:24 p.m. EDT, May 23, 2008
At least 19 Iraqis were killed and 11 more were wounded on a quiet prayer day. Sadrist officials reported that Iraqi security forces stopped Friday prayer services in Baghdad and Basra. An American soldier was killed south of Baghdad in an IED attack yesterday. Also, another American soldier was killed while on leave in the United States.
A roadside bomb in Fallujah wounded six Marines in the Bustan Albo district. Their Iraqi interpreter was killed in the incident, but these numbers may change as more information becomes available. A technician was killed, along with five others as he was defusing a separate bomb; three others were wounded in the blast. Also, gunmen tried to storm the home of a local council leader but were repelled by guards.
In Baghdad, Iraqi security forces stopped a prayer service conducted by Sadrist leader and arrested hundreds of people, including nearby shopowners and pedestrians. Three buried bodies were discovered in Shula, while two unidentified bodies were found in Saidiya. Three people were arrested while planting a roadside bomb. Also, there was an explosion in Bayaa, but casualties are as yet unreported.
Two Iraqi soldiers were shot and wounded near Hasriya.
A woman’s body was found near Lake Thar Thar.
Gunmen attacked two Iraqi soldiers near Tuz Khormato.
A large weapons cache was found in Samarra.
Four persons were detained in Rashidiya.
In Kirkuk, 13 suspects were detained.
Five bodies were found in Misherfa.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018
- Bomb Targets Election Candidate; Two Killed in Iraq – April 15th, 2018
- Kurdish Brothers Killed in Turkish Airstrike Among Four Killed in Iraq – April 14th, 2018