Updated at 10:45 p.m. EST, Dec. 19, 2007
Despite a very slow newsday, at least 57 Iraqis were killed and 12 more were wounded in the latest reported violence. Meanwhile, Iraqi Muslims are observing the Eid al-Adha, which marks the end of the yearly Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca. This year, the Iraqi government extended the official holiday to include Christmas. Iraqi newspapers will cease publication until next Wednesday for the observances, and reports from the country are expected to be scant until then.
U.S. forces released information on a "torture complex" discovered by troops on Dec. 8. Over the next three days, troops uncovered a grisly scene and found 26 decomposed bodies. Twenty-two suspects were also killed and 37 more were detained during the operation, which took place north of Muqdadiyah.
Almost all of yesterday’s influx of Turkish troops returned to their home country after attacking Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) locations. The Turkish military claims to have inflicted heavy casualties, but no confirmation or figures are available. The PKK claimed to have killed eight Turkish troops and injured several more.
In Baghdad, a civilian was killed and three others were wounded during a roadside bombing in Baladiyat. One Awakening Council fighter was killed and six Iraqi soldiers were wounded during security operations that netted 15 suspects; one gunman was also killed, and at least 10 roadside bombs were defused. Also, one body was discovered in the Tigris River.
Twenty suspects were captured in Kirkuk.
Also, U.S. forces released an Iranian, who has been in custody since 2004.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018