Updated at 12:15 a.m. EDT, Oct. 1, 2007
A significant number of militia suspects and other gunmen were killed in numerous incidents around the country. Overall, 118 Iraqis were killed or found dead and another 19 were wounded. Also, one MND-B soldier was killed and another wounded during combat in Baghdad yesterday.
In Mosul, 11 dumped bodies were found; they bore gunshot and torture marks. A Ninevah council member and three guards were killed when gunmen sprayed their vehicle with bullets. Gunmen attacked a market, killing two people. Two women and a man were killed in a drive-by shooting. Gunmen killed two policemen in an eastern neighborhood. In Qadsiya, gunmen injured a policeman and a civilian. Also, a roadside bomb wounded two policemen.
Seven decomposing bodies were found in al-Uhaymer, near Baquba.
The bodies of three torture victims were found in al-Haswa.
A gunman attacked a farm south of Baghdad where he killed the farmer and wounded three relatives.
In Basra, a police official survived an assassination attempt.
In Baghdad, five bodies were recovered. Also, black smoke and U.S. helicopters were seen in Doura, where reports of 60 armed men also surfaced. A roadside bomb targeting a U.S. patrol in Zayouna resulted in no casualties.
U.S. forces killed another 20 after receiving grenade and small arms gunfire northwest of the capital. Two more suspects were killed and 21 arrested in other U.S. operations; another 15 were detained in Baghdad.
Also, two Kurdish rebels were killed in southeast Turkey.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018