Updated at 6:15 p.m. EDT, Sept. 13, 2007
In today’s most significant event, an important Sunni tribe leader was assassinated in Ramadi along with several people in his retinue. Altogether, at least 41 Iraqis were killed and 20 more were wounded. No foreign military were reported killed.
A highly influential, Sunni tribe alliance leader, Abdul Sattar Abu Risha, two bodyguards, and a personal secretary were killed in a bombing near his Ramadi home. The Anbar Tribal Alliance joined forces with U.S. troops last year to fight al-Qaeda, and its members have since become assassination targets.
In Baghdad, 11 dumped bodies were recovered. Five people were killed and 10 wounded during a car bombing in al-Talabiya. In Zayouna, a roadside bomb killed one and wounded three others. No casualties were reported during a bombing in Karrada. Also, Iraqi forces killed four suspects and arrested 51 others in various locations around the city.
A sniper killed a policeman in western Mosul. Gunmen wounded two policemen in al-Jazaer. Three more policemen were wounded near a bus station in northern Mosul. Also, a Kurdish bakery worker was killed last night.
A roadside bomb in Fallujah killed one policeman and wounded two others.
A civilian was kidnapped in Albu Najim.
U.S. forces killed four suspects, including two women, in Baquba.
Joint U.S.-Iraqi forces killed one suspect and arrested six others in Diwaniya.
Twelve suspects were detained in Taji.
During security operations in Kirkuk, 22 suspects were arrested.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018