Updated at 12:33 a.m. EST, Feb. 19, 2007
Three bombs killed dozens in Baghdad today despite a security crackdown that has hampered movement through the city for several days. Overall, 99 Iraqis were killed or found dead throughout the country today and 157 were injured. The U.S. military also reported the deaths of two American soldiers.
Two American soldiers were killed on Saturday. One died when his patrol came under fire north of the capital. The other soldier was killed in Baghdad by a grenade. Fifteen gunmen were killed and two Iraqi policemen were injured during operations conducted by combined U.S.-Iraqi forces. Also, British forces killed three gunmen during a clash near Basra; at least four others were wounded.
Baghdad was rocked by several car bombs. Two car bombs blasted a market in the Shi’ite neighborhood of New Baghdad where they killed at least 62 people and injured 129 others. Another bomb killed three people and wounded 12 more in Sadr City. Also, three dumped bodies were found in the capital.
Police Colonel Ali Mutashar’s convoy was attacked in Samawa; he suffered no injuries but four bodyguards were wounded.
Three bodies bearing gunshot wounds were found in Balad.
Two tortured and shot bodies were discovered in Sulaiman Paek.
In Suwayra, a body was recovered from a river.
During clashes in Tikrit, two police officers and several gunmen were killed and three policemen were injured.
Gunmen killed two farmers in Balad Ruz.
In al-Sadiya, attacked the municipality director Sabah Ahmed; two of the attackers were killed.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017