Updated at 12:30 a.m. EST, Feb. 17, 2007
Friday is usually a quiet news days in Iraq. It is the weekly prayer day and curfews are in place in several cities; many reporters in Iraq consider this their day off. Overall though, 26 Iraqis were killed and seven were wounded in violent incidents. Meanwhile, the International Organization for Migration released a grave report on the migration situation; millions have been displaced or fled the country. No foreign deaths were reported.
U.S. forces continued operations as part of a security crackdown. Among them was the controlled-demolition of a bomb-making facility in Salman Pak. Iraqi security forces arrested dozens of people in several raids. Six militants were injured during clashes with British forces in Basra.
Fourteen bodies were recovered in Baghdad. An Iraqi soldier was killed and a second soldier injured when a roadside bomb blasted them on the Mohammed al-Qasim highway.
A girl was killed and her mother wounded during a mortar attack near their home in Balad.
In Samarra, the body of a young man who was shot in the chest was found; he has been kidnapped two weeks ago.
Three policemen were killed during a combat operaton in Falluja.
Katyusha rockets hit two homes in Hibhib where they killed two people.
Four dead bodies were found in Mosul.
A former security guard was assassinated in Kut; he had worked during the Saddam regime.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Drops Bombs on ISIS in Syria; Five Killed in Iraq – April 19th, 2018
- Mosul Courts Sentence Hundreds of Militants to Death; 13 Killed in Iraq – April 18th, 2018
- Four ISIS Women Sentenced to Death; 10 Killed in Iraq – April 17th, 2018
- Iraqi Government Executes Terror Convicts; 52 Killed in Iraq – April 16th, 2018
- Bomb Targets Election Candidate; Two Killed in Iraq – April 15th, 2018