Updated at 7:20 p.m. EST, Dec. 9, 2006
A pair of separate car bombs, including one near an important shrine, added to today’s tally of Iraqi victims of violence. Overall, at least 59 Iraqis were killed or found dead and another 51 were wounded. Also, U.S. military authorities reported that one Marine died today in Fallujah, raising the number of U.S. dead in December to 38 servicemembers. And early reports state that U.S. soldiers mistakenly killed three Iraqi soldiers during a raid in Dulouiya.
In Baghdad, at least 39 bodies were dumped in various locations. Mortars fell on the Shi’ite district of Kadhimiya, killing two and wounding three others. Also, primary school headmaster, Yussif Faraj al-Shimari was shot dead in the Doura neighborhood.
A suicide car bomber killed seven, including himself and wounded 44 at the Abassi market in the Shi’ite holy city of Kerbala.
A roadside bomb in Rashad wounded a policeman.
Gunmen killed four people, including a ten-year-old girl, in separate acts in Baquba.
And one civilian was abducted in Kirkuk.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018