Updated at 7:20 p.m. EST, Dec. 9, 2006
A pair of separate car bombs, including one near an important shrine, added to today’s tally of Iraqi victims of violence. Overall, at least 59 Iraqis were killed or found dead and another 51 were wounded. Also, U.S. military authorities reported that one Marine died today in Fallujah, raising the number of U.S. dead in December to 38 servicemembers. And early reports state that U.S. soldiers mistakenly killed three Iraqi soldiers during a raid in Dulouiya.
In Baghdad, at least 39 bodies were dumped in various locations. Mortars fell on the Shi’ite district of Kadhimiya, killing two and wounding three others. Also, primary school headmaster, Yussif Faraj al-Shimari was shot dead in the Doura neighborhood.
A suicide car bomber killed seven, including himself and wounded 44 at the Abassi market in the Shi’ite holy city of Kerbala.
A roadside bomb in Rashad wounded a policeman.
Gunmen killed four people, including a ten-year-old girl, in separate acts in Baquba.
And one civilian was abducted in Kirkuk.
Compiled by Margaret Griffis
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017
- Kurdish Refugee Camp Bombed; 18 Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2017